CALL FOR ART WORK
A Chance to Win $1,000!
This is our second annual fundraiser, Mystery Masterpiece, an anonymous exhibit, which will be held on March 29, 2014. The event will support Studio Channel Islands programs, increase awareness of the Blackboard Gallery and our artist members, and cultivate collectors.
This year we’re offering 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes for the first, second and third pieces our guests select! 1st Price is $1,000! 2nd prize is $500 and 3rd prize is $250.
All art for this year must fit in loosely with the theme, WATER. We are asking each artist to donate a piece of WATER art, valued at a minimum $250. 3D art should not exceed 18” long; 2D art should not be wider than 36 inches and 6 feet high. All artwork will be signed on the back only! It is meant for the viewer to choose an art piece that speaks to him/her.
Our goal is to collect 150-200 pieces of art. Please let us know NOW if we can count on your support. A quick response with “yes” or “no” via email will help us plan the event! We will send you a release form as soon as we receive your commitment. The art work needs to be delivered on March 25 or by appointment. Please feel free to forward this opportunity to your artist friends!
We are in the midst of our Mystery Masterpiece Art call, so start thinking about your creation. We realize your art has a higher value, but it is important to stimulate new growth and encourage art collectors to make Studio Channel Islands Art Center their first choice for art.
Participating artists can buy a guest ticket at $75 to attend the event on March 29. The ticket fee will be waived if the participating artists sells two art tickets (two $200 tickets) for Mystery Masterpiece. Please call Karin Geiger at 805.383.1368 for more information. The event on March 30 is free for all.
Wishing us all much success! Thank you!
OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES
“Bits and Pieces”
Exhibit Dates: April 2 – 25
Opening Reception & Awards: Saturday, April 5, 4 – 6 pm
at the Blackboard Gallery on 2222 Ventura Boulevard
The exhibit is related to the play “Picasso at the Lapine Agile”. It’s a fun theme, and we are requiring artists to use three items in their works:
1. Rabbit or part of a rabbit in any 2-D or 3-D form
2. An arrow in any 2-D or 3-D form (Steve Martin reference)
3. Any item you would see in a bar, in any 2-D or 3-D form.
This allows for both 2-D and 3-D results. Unleash your imagination!
Juror: Tony Askew, Westmont College
1st, 2nd and 3rd Place: $150; $100; $50
In addition, the winners will receive two tickets for “Picasso at the Lapine Agile” performed by the Conejo Players Theatre in Thousand Oaks from May 9 to May 31.
Entry fee: $15 for members, $20 for non-members, for the one piece. Entries by email or Photo CD only!
Schedule at a glance:
March 15 Deadline for Entries
March 21 Notifications
April 1 Bring In Date
April 5 Opening Reception and Awards Presentation
April 25 End of Show
April 25 Pick up day
- No size restrictions as long as it fits through the door. Work must not have been previously shown at Studio Channel Islands Gallery
- All artwork must be delivered ready to be displayed
- Art must be for sale. Gallery commission is 40% of sales price.
- Artwork must be submitted for jurying electronically by March 15. Send a labeled Picture CD to Studio Channel Islands Art Center or email your jpg image as an attachment to email@example.com. Image must be named: LastName.Title.Medium.Size. (e.g.“Geiger.No.8.oil.24×24.jpg). An image size of 1 MB is recommended.
- Submit description of your work in the body of the email or in a letter: Artist Name, Title, Medium, Size, unframed (h” x w”), Price
- Artwork is to be accompanied with an artist’s statement and resume.
- Payment can be submitted by mailing a check to Studio Channel Islands Art Center or using PayPal on our website (Purpose: Call for Entry Bits & Pieces)
Gallery Installation Policy for Group Exhibits:
- All placement and installation of art works to be done at the discretion of our professional installation team.
- All work must be delivered within the time frame given by gallery. No late deliveries will be accepted.
- Artist must indicate orientation of piece and include any special installation instructions. Installation team will take requests into consideration.
- All work must be delivered ready to hang with appropriate hardware. No saw-tooth hangers.
Notice of Acceptance:
- Artists will be notified by email or phone on March 21.
- CDs will not be returned.
Bring In Date:
- Accepted artwork must be delivered on Tuesday, April 1, 11am to 3pm. Please call if you need to make other arrangements.
- Artist is responsible for all shipping costs.
Last day of show and pick up day: Friday, April 25, 11am – 5 pm
OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES:
The Meadowlark Service League and the Studio Channel Islands Art Center is turning to the artistic community to design the poster. This year’s event theme is “The British Are Coming” and the contest is open to all artists over 21 years of age. For details click here!
Studio Channel Islands Art Center has no responsibility for the damage or loss of the artworks during shipping, delivery, exhibit, removing, pick-up and returning. Artist is responsible for removing the work after the show. We have very limited storage, and delays for removing the works may result in additional cost for the artist.
In order to offer exhibitions at no cost to the artists, SCIART is renting the Blackboard Gallery occasionally to third parties (renter). Usage is restricted to events that are suitable for an art gallery. Precautions are taken to keep the art work safe, e.g. hiring security staff for the event, temporarily removing fragile art work if necessary. The renter is responsible for any and all damages caused by his/her agents, vendors, guests or contractors.
Studio Channel Islands Gallery and Office Hours:
Tuesday 11am – 3pm
Wednesday – Friday 11am – 5pm
Saturday 10am – 3pm
Contact: Karin Geiger, Executive Director
Gallery Location and mailing address:
2222 Ventura Boulevard, Camarillo, CA 93010