Instructor: Karin Geiger
Tuesdays 3:30 – 5 pm
Join our on-going class focusing on water-based media. We will explore a variety of watercolor techniques that will hone your skills and improve your painting style. You will learn to create beautiful silk scarves and silk pillows. Finally, we will venture into mixed media and collage!
The goal is to establish an on-going class with a steady group of no more than eight students who will not only learn from the instructor but also from each other. Art appreciation is an important element of this class.
Due to the upcoming Holidays, we will skip some Tuesdays. The dates for the first four sessions are:
November 12 and 19, December 10 and 17. We will continue our class in January 2014.
Material: Bring your own basic watercolor supplies (paper, paints, brushes, pencils). Silk paints will be supplied. Silk will be available for purchase at cost.
Cost: a series of four sessions will be $100 ($25 per session). At the last day of the session, the dates will be set for next series of classes. No drops-ins.
Call 805.233.2944 to sign-up.
Sculpting the Head
Medium: Water-based clay
Course meets: November 5th, 6th and 7th, 6 – 9 pm
Optional additional days: November 12th, 13th and 14th, 6 – 9 pm
Level: beginners, intermediate and professional
Cost: $ 295 for three evenings, $500 for six evenings
Delesprie is the local sculptor responsible for monuments at the Promenade in Westlake Village, The Commons in Calabasas, the Thousand Oaks Janss Mall, Los Robles Hospital in Thousand Oaks, and the Grove in Los Angeles, among other installations throughout the US. She attended Vanier and Loyola Universities in Montreal, Canada and studied under prominent contemporary sculptors Marion Young, Don Gale, and Richard McDonald.
Delesprie teaches a tried and true principle of sculpting, once learned you can sculpt anything. It enhances your knowledge of drawing and painting. It involved studying the profiles of each side of the face the North, South, East, West and then some 3/4 angles. It is much easier to create a bust and a likeness using this method she calls silhouettes. Students will be sculpting a loved one, themselves or someone they will photograph. This would make a wonderful gift.
“We will begin with an armature, paying special attention to how the skull is built, eyes, nose, cheekbones, hairline, expression, energy and emotion with the brows, tilt of the head and flow of the hair, curve of the lips. Learn how to make an ear really look like an ear and where to position it on the head. I encourage students at the end to make it their own with artistic flair using different hats, scarf’s, stylized hair to ultra-modern animation. Demonstrations and hands on critiques for everyone. See you in class!”, Delesprie
Email Info@StudiochannelIslands.org or call 805.383.1368 to register.
Learn basic hand- building techniques as you work through projects. This course introduces pinching, coiling, and slab making with instruction in glazing. Due to firing schedule, we will offer six – 2 hour sessions within an 8 week period. Class calendar: class 1 – June 20, class 2 – June 27, no class July 4th, class 3 – July 11, class 4 – July 18, class 5- July 25, no class August 1st, class 6 – August 8th.
Thursday’s session- 10:30-12:30 or 1:30-3:30. All levels welcome!
Class fees are $170 and a $50 lab fee. Lab fee includes clay, use of all tools and glaze materials. $100 deposit required to hold your space in class. You are not considered enrolled till deposit is received!
Instructors: Judy Winard – 805 427-0340 & Mary McGill – 818 402-4811. email@example.com. firstname.lastname@example.org
Every Thursday evening except holidays
Facilitators: Sigrid Orlet and Daggi Wallace
- A buffet of art materials and time for personal creative exploration and expression
- Guided relaxation through breathing
- Life stories, poetry, wisdom teachings
- Time for reflection and sharing (optional)
- Celebration with dessert
Thursdays 6:30pm – 9pm
$ 40 per event or $150 for 4.
All materials and dessert provided or you may bring your own.
Please, pre-register (Walk-ins are welcome on a limited basis at $50 per class).
Additional information and pre-registration at
or Daggi Wallace 972.741.3018
Silk Screen Printmaking
by Bruce Freeman
Starting Thursday, May 23rd, at 6:30pm
The class must be limited to the first 7 registered participants!
Instructional Fees are $250 for the full 7 week class. Fees include:
- A hands-on Introduction to the three key stencil techniques
- Individualized Personal Instruction
- Screen printing frames are provided for use in the class
- Access to exposing equipment, drying racks and washout booth
- Supplies for basic stencil development are included
- Adequate ink supplies for creating a limited edition print will be available
Although Participant Fees generously cover necessary supplies, the participant will need to bring to each class:
- Printing paper for their edition
- Basic art supplies for creating stencils – Xacto knife, masking tape, duct tape, pencils and rulers
- Water-based inks are used in this class. You will need clean up supplies including paper towels, 409 or a similar cleaner, newsprint/newspaper
- Any custom project materials
To sign up, email Bruce at email@example.com.
No prior experience in screen printing is necessary. Come to class with ideas, ready to print!!
As many friends of SCIART know, our former president, Rich Brimer, has moved to Carmel, California. Along with being an invaluable member of the organization and a talented and active AIR, Rich coordinated the Figure Drawing Workshop that has been held for over two years at the Studios. To continue this popular group, before he left, Rich turned over the reins to Gretel Meys Compton, an eight year Artist-in-Residence who formerly ran a similar group at the Studio Channel Islands on the CSUCI campus.
The Figure Workshop is held on Tuesday nights, from 6-9pm, in Classroom E at the Studios, 2222 Ventura Boulevard, Camarillo. The evening consists of a live model or models made available to work from, with lights, music, and libations to enrich the experience. There are occasionally long pose nights, theme nights, and creative activities. Any medium is welcome as long as it does not impact the working environment of any of the other participants (ie., fumes, noise). The cost is $20 per individual night or $75 for a five-session punch card. More information is available at www.meetup.com/Camarillo-Artists.
- Nude figure-drawing and painting workshop. Usually gesture warm-up poses for the first 25 minutes, then 25-minute long poses for remainder of night.
- We start at precisely 6:01 so get there beforehand to set-up and do a meet-n-greet and get a cup of wine.
- Gretel Meys Compton, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesdays 6pm – 9pm in Studio E
- On-going A4 $20 if you drop-in. $75 for 5-workshop pass
- Learn basic watercolor. Design, color, and fun are the focus. You will get a solid foundation so that you can paint right away!
- Mary-Gail King | 805.217.9539 | email@example.com
- Tuesdays 9am –noon – On-going
- (or) Wednesdays 6:30 – 9pm – On-going
- On-going A4 $100 for 4 lessons, $30 for drop ins
Watercolor on Yupo
- Yupo is an innovative paper that is made of plastic. It allows very spontaneous and creative techniques. The focus is on design and exploring surface texture and color.
- Instructor: Mary-Gail King | 805.217.9539 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursdays 6:30 – 9pm
- On-going in Studio A2
- $100 for 4 lessons | $30 for drop-ins
- Learn to paint with bamboo brushes on rice/silk paper.
- Instructor: Christine Leong | 805.312.2208 | email@example.com
- Thursdays 10:30am — 12:30 pm in Studio D3
- (or) Thursday 4:30pm — 6:30pm in Studio D3
- $120 for 4 classes (in-class materials included).
Charcoal Drawing Class
- with Gary Saderup, for all levels of experience
- Tuesdays, 1 – 4 pm, at the gallery, 2221 Ventura Blvd.
- NEW SESSION STARTING soon
- Small group with one-on-one instruction time for every student.
- Class fee: $60 per 3 hour class, payable in series of 4 classes; on-going.
- Material list will be provided at sign-up. Class fee does not include material.
- Walk-ins are welcome at $75 per class.
- Call 805.383.1368 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register – Space is limited!
Studio Techniques in Oil
- General oil painting class for all levels, beginners welcome
- David Gallup|805.657.5385 | email@example.com
- Mondays 4 – 7pm
- On-going B2 $200 for 4 lessons
Master Class in Oil
For professional artists
- David Gallup | 805.657.5385 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesdays 11 am –3pm
- On-going B2 (Class is currently full)
- Live nude model, live instructions
- David Gallup | 805.657.5385 | email@example.com
Tuesdays 4 – 7pm Studio B2
- $100 for 4 lessons | $30 for drop ins | $15 for existing students