STUDIO CHANNEL ISLANDS ART CENTER
AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN ART STUDIES
IN RECOGNITION OF PAT RICHARDS, STUDIO CHANNEL ISLANDS ART CENTER FOUNDING MEMBER
Each year, Studio Channel Islands Art Center selects a Ventura County area college or university art department to work with us in providing an award to an outstanding art student. Our goal in giving this award is to showcase the quality of art teaching in the selected school, as well as the work of the winning student. Traditionally, the award has been $1,000.
We also offer art students and faculty members of the selected college an exhibit at our gallery. The award will be presented at the Opening Reception.
In 2011, Luis Peña from California Lutheran University was awarded. Dustin Sherron from Moorpark Collage received the Award for Excellence in Art Studies in 2012. Donna Espinoza from Oxnard College was chosen to as the award recipient in 2013, and Samantha Ryan from Ventura College was awarded with the award in 2014.
Art students from Brooks Institute have been invited to apply for the Award for Excellence in Art Studies in 2015.
• The student must be a college art major with a goal of becoming a full-time artist.
“Artist” includes commercial artist, art teacher, craftsperson, photographer, designer, and fine artist.
• The work must be original art. There is no restriction on medium, style or artistic area — however, installations and performance art are excluded.
• Work submitted for judging must have been created by a college art student enrolled in a college located in Ventura County. The goal is to showcase the quality of art teaching in the selected college, as well as the work of the student.
• The $1,000 award will be based on the quality of artwork and presentation, rather than on financial need.
• Art students who decide to participate will submit artwork to the Art Chair/Lead Faculty for judging at the College level. Because each college has its own selection process, it will be up to the College Art Department to meet its own standards as they submit candidates to Studio Channel Islands for review. The Art Department Chair or Selection Committee will then submit portfolios of three student candidates for Studio Channel Islands Art Center’s consideration.
• Each student’s portfolio should consist of exactly 12 jpg digital images at 300 dpi on a disc. Submitting more or fewer images will disqualify the candidate. The work should be a cross-section of skills and expertise in at least two areas. Example: Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Design, various 3-Dimensional media.