Studio Channel Islands Art Center
Blackboard Gallery Internship
Gallery hours: Tuesday 11 – 3, Wednesday – Friday 11-5, Saturday 10 – 3
Non-paid internship; Fall 2013
We are looking for two gallery interns to maintain the art gallery, assist with planning and executing events, help update and maintain our social media platforms, and other various tasks that allows the gallery to function on a daily basis. The ideal candidate should have a love for the arts and a flexible schedule. Candidates must be proficient with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word. Experience in Event Planning and Photoshop is a plus, but not required. We are looking for someone who is dependable, friendly, and comfortable working in both fast and slow paced environments. This is a two month non-paid internship. We need someone to work two days a week Tuesday – Friday, and 10-3 every other Saturday.
Our mission is to promote and preserve the visual arts in our community, providing unique and diverse artistic encounters for all ages, and extraordinary opportunities for artists. Studio Channel Islands Art Center consists of an art gallery, 12 art studios with over 40 resident artists, and an up and coming theater program.
What you will learn:
- The ins and outs of running an art gallery on a day-to-day level.
- How to plan for art gallery receptions and events.
- How to use the donor database program Donorsnap, including data entry and maintaining mailing lists.
- How to use social media to promote events and campaigns.
- The role and function of an art gallery, and how galleries create/find a market to buy the art.
- Be the face of the gallery by maintaining our front desk. This includes greeting guests, answering the phone and transferring calls, and answering any questions guests may have about the art center.
- Updating and maintaining our social media platforms, including our Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest pages.
- Write blog entries and edit documents for the gallery (e.g. press releases, website updates, etc.)
- Use our donor database program Donorsnap to do data entry.
- Assist gallery staff in planning events, including gallery receptions and special events, education programs, and events at the Art Studios. While it is not required to attend every event, we strongly recommend that interns attend in order to gain experience and increase your professional network.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach your cover letter and resume in a .pdf format, and title the documents as follows:
summer internship resume_last name_first name
summer internship cover letter_last name_first name
Please include “Summer internship – First Name Last Name” in the title of your email.